Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Battery lifetimes RE: East Coast outage?
From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:00:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:
Although our main office here has generator power, what do all the
intermediary unmanaged network sites typically have for DC power along the
way ?  One of my local fibre providers told me that the remote hut we are
off of only will last until about 9:30pm tonight and then bye bye.  Is that
typical to have 6hrs battery ?  I am sure its all over the map from
provider to provider, but does anyone know what Bell Canada (my other local
loop provider) typical aims for in terms of battery power for remote huts ?

Of course it varies from location to location.  Generally, after 8-12
hours we will start seeing infrastructure problems as remote batteries
run down.  Providers will be re-charging batteries with portable
generators, but predicting battery lifetimes is as much art as science.
Sometimes the battery doesn't last as long as predicted.

  By Date           By Thread