Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: East Coast outage?
From: alex () yuriev com
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:08:08 -0400 (EDT)

It seems to me that the power guys are still living somewhere in the
last century. Is it really impossible to absorb power spikes? We can go
from utility to battery or the other way around in milliseconds, so it
should be possible to activate something that can absorb a short spike
much the same way. Balancing intermediate-term generation/usage
mismatches should be possible by simply communicating with users. There
is lots of stuff out there that switches on and off periodically (all
kinds of cooling systems, battery charging, lights), so let it switch
on or off for a few minutes when the power network needs it to.

No, the problem is that by the time your users receive that information and
act upon it, you will either get a blackout (braker) or a blow up
(transformers becoming brakers).

The reason it takes long to restore the power is that to restore the power
to section "A" one needs to deliver the amount nearly equal to what the
section "A" needs at that specific time and that is a lot of calculatins.

Alex

  By Date           By Thread