Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Email virus protection
From: Lou Katz <lou () metron com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:07:44 -0700

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 03:46:48PM -0700, JC Dill wrote:

At 02:07 PM 8/20/2003, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:

There's quite a lot of usable stuff out there. Many Win32 users have
switched to Mozilla which seems to solve 100% of the Outlook-specific
attacks which account for... hmmm... 100% of the malicious email
messages of the last 6 months.

Unfortunately, that's not true.  My father has to use Windoze because
several software programs for his industry (Real Estate, specifically
managing rentals) only come in Windoze flavors.  He stays away from M$
client software whenever possible and was using Mozilla for email (until
yesterday, I'm getting him started on Eudora).  His email software doesn't
automatically open attachments for him.

For some (but not all folks), you can run such software on a Windows
virtual machine (I use Win4Lin) under a Unix or Linux OS. That might
be an attractive and not very expensive solution for the above.

jc

--
-=[L]=-

  By Date           By Thread