Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Symantec detected Slammer worm "hours" before
From: Peter Salus <peter () matrix net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:28:52 -0600

I attribute this to over-zealous marketing.  As I
mentioned at the NANOG BoF, there is, indeed, a
decrease in latency about 6 hours prior to the
actual mass attack.  Mike Lloyd (RouteScience)
saw this, too.  There's also a decrease about
16 hours out.  Sean suggested that they might be
attributed to cable cuts, but I don't have the
data to attempt correlation.

If Semantec's ouija board brought them news "hours"
earlier, they are behaving reprehensibly not to
have alerted the community.

Peter

  By Date           By Thread