Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Remote email access
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:53:58 -0800

John,

Tuesday, February 4, 2003, 10:50:14 AM, you wrote:
IMHO, to block ALL outbound port 25 traffic
on the sending end is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

JRL> It certainly is, but for most ISPs, there's a very small baby in a huge
JRL> tub of spam.  Remember that this whole question only occurs for dialup or
JRL> DHCP users who are not using their ISP's mail service.  While that
JRL> probably includes just about everyone you and I know, overall, it's a
JRL> teensy minority of ISP customers.

It appears that the policy of blocking outbound port 25 has been adopted
much more broadly.  It is not just folks running dial-in services.  At a
minimum, anyone with "visitors" -- no matter how they connect -- is a
candidate for embracing the blocking philosophy.

d/
--
 Dave <mailto:dcrocker () brandenburg com>
 t +1.408.246.8253; f +1.408.850.1850

  By Date           By Thread