Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: anti-spam vs network abuse
From: Andy Dills <andy () xecu net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:52:44 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Gary E. Miller wrote:

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Paul Vixie wrote:

However, they scanned every address in every netblock I own, looking
for SMTP servers.  That was abuse, that was illegal in California,

Could you please provide a citation  from the CA law for this?  Better
yet, do you have any case law?

More importantly, could somebody provide some sort of moral basis for this
law? (I'm not sure if Paul feels the way he wrote, or if there was a bit
of tongue-in-cheeck...I suspect and hope the latter.)

Why is probing networks wrong?

I would agree exploiting vulnerabilities discovered from probing networks
is wrong. But I don't agree that probing is inherently wrong.

People probe networks for great reasons. Likewise, people have the ability
to prevent other people from probing their networks.

Should we outlaw a potentially beneficial practice due to its abuse by
criminals?

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access

  By Date           By Thread