Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fast TCP?
From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () multicasttech com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 23:20:25 -0400

Glad this came up as I have been reading this paper -

Does Figure 1 in
http://netlab.caltech.edu/pub/papers/fast-030401.pdf

seem reasonable ? Will 100 RED TCP flows really only fill 90% of a 155 Mbps pipe but 87% of a 2.4 Gbps connection and 75% of a 4.8 Gbps connection ? This seems strangely non-linear to me.

A more fundamental question is, is this really useful except in the case of very high bandwidth single flows (such as
e-VLBI or  particle physics or uncompressed HDTV).
After all, isn't the current standard practice not to come close to fully utilizing backbone bandwidth ?

                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks