Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advice/Experience with small sized DDWM gear
From: Simon Leinen <simon () limmat switch ch>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 12:25:53 +0200

Deepak Jain writes:
[a response with excellent pieces of advice on CWDM vs. DWDM.]

      If you are planning more than just 1 DF run, you could buy the less
expensive solution and just swap it out when you need something more and use
the CWDM solution somewhere else.

Yes.  What we often do is buy a single pair of fiber (which happens to
be the smallest amount you can get) and use a bi-directional optical
system (CWDM or DWDM).  So we have one of the two fibers free for a
later upgrade (or another useful purpose).

[...]
      So its a question of how much BW you need and how much you
want to pay for right now.

An excellent management summary of CWDM vs. DWDM :-)
--
Simon.

  By Date           By Thread