Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Major E-mail Delivery for FTC DNCR Launch
From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:25:34 -0400

In message <729306F70E13DB43AA2D7AA0FAD4715D05441718 () OCCLUST03EVS1 ugd att com>
, "Callahan, Richard M, SOLGV" writes:

Good Afternoon
    and forgive the new guy if I break any rules or conventions.

I work for AT&T Government Solutions and we are about to launch the Do Not Cal
l Registry for the Federal Trade Commission.  At a high level this allows cons
umers to register their phone numbers to  keep most telemarketers from calling
their homes.  Penalties for calling a consumer on the list can be $11K per ca
ll and enforcement begins in October.

We are launching consumer registrations on Friday.  My concern:

- every registration using the web generates an email which must be opened to
complete the registration process

We are looking at the potential of MILLIONS OF EMAILS PER DAY beginning Friday
.  These will be from the same address and have the same subject line.

I am worried about denial of service or blocking by spam filters if providers
are not aware this is coming.

I am hoping this group is a good medium to get the word out to inform the comm
unity of this impending event.

At this time I am unable to provide the link or email address, but will do so
on Thursday evening if it is of value.

You should definitely contact the postmasters for some of the major
consumer ISPs -- they often have their own filtering policies and
procedures.  AOL's policies have been discussed on this list in the
past.  Also watch out for Earthlink's challenge/response scheme.

  By Date           By Thread