Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: AC/AC power conversion for datacenters
From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 20:48:45 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Peter Galbavy wrote:

Matthew Zito wrote:
This is marginally related to the power discussions earlier, but does
anyone know of a product that steps up 120V AC to 220V AC and is
reasonably datacenter-friendly?  We're looking at an environment where
there's no 220V available - but we only need ~7 amps so conversion
could be possible to my high-school-physics mind.  I've found some
products that seem to be appropriate, but they're geared towards a
more industrial purpose.  Is there a rackmount 120->220V converter
that people out there have used and would recommend?

My suggestion, which I have never tried, is to get a UPS with the right
wattage and that support 240V out but variable (90V-300V) input. Just a
thought.

Depends on your hardware obviously but I suspect it'll be cheaper to replace the
PSU with one of the same voltage as the supply than messing with ups etc

Steve

PS Please don't make the mistake that a certain US supplier made with kit
shipped to UK and specify 16A connectors which required special wiring (over
standard 13A in the UK) as at 240V the current is lower by 240/110 :)
Measure watts, not amps. Unless you have a weird PSU of course.

Peter

  By Date           By Thread