Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: ml hacks for goodmail
From: Simon Waters <simonw () zynet net>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:25:52 +0000

On Tuesday 07 Feb 2006 22:08, Florian Weimer wrote:

As far as I can tell, the filters at AOL are far less problematic than
crude filters at smaller sites which simply use SORBS or
bl.spamcop.net.

Not here, no one cares if some small bit player has stupid filters, but when a
significant volume of your email goes somewhere stupid filters hurt, queues
build, users complain, and we are a bit player in the email world.

We have a regular email to a customer rejected weekly by AOL because it
contains a "banned URL".  Wouldn't be so bad, but it contains web referer
stats, so is nothing but URLs. We've no idea which URL it is, and I'm not
doing a binary filter approach to work around their broken filters.

Simplistic content only based rejection of email is just a broken model, as is
using end-user input in too simplistic a fashion (end users make too many
mistakes), AOL do both. I manage to filter all my personal email with no
content inspection over and above "no Windows executable attachments here -
thank you", no end user interaction, no silly places where falsely classified
email stagnates, it really isn't difficult to deploy filters like this.

But I thought the whole thing looked like a marketing campaign for Goodmail,
and nothing more.

  By Date           By Thread