Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Middle Eastern Exchange Points
From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan () renesys com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:14:29 -0500

At 11:08 AM 2/9/2006, Bill Woodcock wrote:

      On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 Michael.Dillon () btradianz com wrote:
    > In hindsight, it would have been clearer to refer to these
    > places as peering exchanges however back in those days, the important
    > distinction wasn't between peering and transit.

There was a significant effort from 2001 to distinguish between "peering
exchanges" and "transit exchanges," and that's something I continue to do
today.

Your trash is my treasure. Neutrality is key.

However, a "transit exchange" is (and is Definition by Strong
Assertion, since it's not a commonly enough used phrase to have a
definition by general acceptance) a place where multiple buyers and
multiple sellers convene to buy and sell transit in a market environment.

Strong assertion noted.

[ SNIP ]

At least it's one step better than everybody who isn't one calling
themselves a NAP.

NAP, IX, $IX, exchange. If there's a mutually beneficial reason to
be there, you will be there. If people are there, they will exchange
traffic. If they exchange traffic, they are an exchange.

I'd be happy to debate this point in a panel or BoF. It's been
beat to death here.

  By Date           By Thread