Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: How do you (not how do I) calculate 95th percentile?
From: "Greenhagen, Robin" <Robin () gsi-kc com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:01:38 -0600

Database triggers are a marvelous thing.  Is this wrong?

((InOctetsCurrent-InOctetsLastTime)*8)
(TimeCurrent-TimeLastTime)               = Inbound bits/sec

We chose this because it doesn't matter if it is 30 seconds or 8 minutes
between sample points, it is all normalized in that period.  I do
realize that it is an average within that window, but all we need to do
is tune the cron job (how often we poll) to increase resolution.