Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transit LAN vs. Individual LANs
From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:33:59 -0800

--On February 25, 2006 11:04:12 AM -0500 "Patrick W. Gilmore"
<patrick () ianai net> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

I have 2 core routers (CR) and 3 access routers (AR)
currently connected point-to-point where each AR connects to
each CR for a total of 6 ckts.  Now someone has decided to
connect them with Gig-E.  I was wondering about the benefits
or disadvantages of keeping the ckts each in their own
individual LANs or tying them all into one VLAN for a
"Transit LAN" as those folks that decided on going to Gig-E
aren't doing any logical network architecting (is that a
real word?).

In my experience either solution has tradeoffs and the correct
one depends greatly on your traffic patterns.  Having said that,
what I find causes most of the problems in either solution is
when the Layer 3 topology starts to diverge from the Layer 2
topology.

Owen

--

  By Date           By Thread