Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transit LAN vs. Individual LANs
From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:47:32 -1000

--On February 25, 2006 11:04:12 AM -0500 "Patrick W.
Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

I have 2 core routers (CR) and 3 access routers (AR)
currently connected point-to-point where each AR
connects to >> each CR for a total of 6 ckts.  Now someone
has decided to >> connect them with Gig-E.  I was
wondering about the benefits >> or disadvantages of
keeping the ckts each in their own >> individual LANs or
tying them all into one VLAN for a >> "Transit LAN" as
those folks that decided on going to Gig-E >> aren't doing
any logical network architecting (is that a >> real
word?).

In my experience either solution has tradeoffs and the
correct one depends greatly on your traffic patterns.
Having said that, what I find causes most of the problems
in either solution is when the Layer 3 topology starts to
diverge from the Layer 2 topology.

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the late response, I had to do an unexpected
outer island trip and got back late last night.

I am just using OSPF area zero between the CRs and ARs.  So,
it's full mesh over a LAN if I do the "transit LAN".  Is
that what you're referring to?  Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
scott

  By Date           By Thread