Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: cyber-redundancy
From: sgorman1 () gmu edu
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:56:51 -0500

They need to know what the most resilient provider or combination of providers is to light up a set of locations.  A
data pool would not give you the data just the answer.

I do not think the problem is with the design layout groups.  They have the ROWs they have - there is little change in
that currently.  Nor is there much incentive to volunteer the information if it could possibly result in the loss of a
potential customer.

Currently there is no optimization of the diversity we have because the information is not available to the market to
make an informed decision.  As a result we have problems like during 9/11 when nobody realized that all the banks where
using the same circuit to connect to the Fed for fund transfers.

Simply put the customer needs the information to make the best decision.  I don't think anybody would rely on the
providers to make the best decision for them.  Trust me I'll give you the best price I am just not going to tell you
what it is or how that compares to anyone elses prices.  Substitute diversity for price and you get the point.