Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: So -- what did happen to Panix?
From: Michael.Dillon () btradianz com
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:48:13 +0000

Wouldn't a well-operated network of IRRs used by 95% of
network operators be able to meet all three of your
requirements?

We have such a database (used by Verio and others), but the Panix
incident
happened anyway due to bit rot.  We've got to find a way to fix the
layer 8
problems before we can make improvements at layer 3.

If an IRR suffers from bit-rot, then I don't consider
it to be "well-operated" and therefore it cannot be
considered to be part of a well-operated network of
IRRs.

The point is that the tools exist. The failing is in
how those tools are managed. In other words this is
an operational problem on both the scale of a single
IRR and on the scale of the IRR system. Is this
what you mean by a "layer 8" problem?

--Michael Dillon

  By Date           By Thread