Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: net-op: traffic loads as the result of patching
From: Elijah Savage <esavage () digitalrage org>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 23:02:56 -0500


Vicky Røde wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

hmm..I thought (correct me if I wrong) wsus followed a mirror
(distributed) model say if a group of servers were pegged the update
process would provide remote clients access to the closet and min
latency host(s) in order to distribute the load prevent bandwidth
saturation.



regards,
/virendra


Elijah Savage wrote:
Sean Donelan wrote:

So, maybe an operational question.

What are people seeing as far as network traffic loads due to WMF patching
activity, e.g. auto-update and manual downloads?  Microsoft has used
several CDNs in addition to its own servers to distribute the load
in the past.
WSUS servers are being pounded right now. Usually 5 to 7% CPU now 72%

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFDvqLlpbZvCIJx1bcRAoF4AJ9pi/xlNkX8mSMT4ogZcVccrJ9ijACg854X
JhwaWYg6bEmVf4yHVmY6mQI=
=3oZt
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
You are correct and with BITS2.0 or really any version of BITS which any updated system should have BITS2.0 it will use only the available bandwidth given. So say you are using 70% of your bandwidth, BITS on XP will only use the other 30%. So Bandwidth should not be an issue, but what I have noticed with WSUS is multiple clients connecting to the server will drive cpu utilization up only in peak form though like on initial connection. For us this is one service that was not built redundant because if for some reason like maintenance and our server is down the clients will then failover to Micro$ofts servers to get them directly.

--
http://www.digitalrage.org/
The Information Technology News Center


  By Date           By Thread  

Current thread:
[ Nmap | Sec Tools | Mailing Lists | Site News | About/Contact | Advertising | Privacy ]
AlienVault