Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: So why don't US citizens get this?
From: Tom Vest <tvest () eyeconomics com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:12:08 +0100

Sort of makes one wonder how the US came to have ubiquitous roads, or power, or water distribution...

TV

On Jul 28, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:

Lets put aside for a moment the conspiracy theories of government
intervention and
the telcos evil doing, IMHO there is a simple reason why I don't have fiber
going
to my house: geography & economics.

Japan:
- area = 377,873 Km^2
- density = 337/Km^2
- pop = 127.5 mill

USA::
- area = 9,826,630 Km^2
- density = 31/Km^2
- pop = 304.7 mill

I belive there are just few major cities in the US that have a comparable or
higher
concentration of people like other large cities around the world.

I'd bet that if you deploy fiber in a given radious in a suburban area in
Japan you
may reach hundreds or thousands of potential customers, do the same a little
bit
north from where I live and you will reach a dozen guys, 50 cows and a
couple of
hundred chickens.

The US is so spread out that anything to do with transportation, being
people,
packages, or ip packets becomes quite costly.

Still I beleve is interesting to analyze why the US is lagging behind on
high speed
services.

My .02

  By Date           By Thread