Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ethical DDoS drone network
From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 18:45:40 -0600

Roland Dobbins wrote:
In my experience, once one has an understanding of the performance envelopes and has built a lab which contains examples of the functional elements of the system (network infrastructure, servers, apps, databases, clients, et. al.), one can extrapolate pretty accurately well out to orders of magnitude.

The problem is that many organizations don't do the above prior to freezing the design and initiating deployment.

Sadly, I think money and time have a lot to do with this. Technology is a moving target, and everyone is constantly struggling to keep up while maintaining performance/security.

I've seen this out of software developers, too. I'd say I've seen more outages due to a simple command typed into a router cli crashing the router than DDoS traffic. Perhaps I've been lucky with the latter.

Jack

  By Date           By Thread