Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:22:55 -0500

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:47:23 EST, William Herrin said:
It's more like one owner in a condominium deciding to "test" the fire
alarm without first asking the condo association or letting the other
owners know about it ahead of time.

On the other hand, pre-announcing "We will have a fire drill at 8PM Thursday"
doesn't do a whole lot to measure the response effectiveness - everybody
will start getting their shoes and coats on at 7:55PM.

And yes, it applies in the network world as well. When we pre-announce "We
will be doing network scans from IP address w.x.y.z", we have a lot of users
who will just blindly firewall off that IP rather than fixing their real issue
they know the scan will detect...

  By Date           By Thread