Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: v6 Avian Carriers?
From: Andy Davidson <andy () nosignal org>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:42:07 +0100

On 1 Apr 2011, at 17:47, Dorn Hetzel wrote:

I was thinking today would be a good day to write an RFC for "fractional DHCP" where end-users can get issued say
1/64 of an v4 IP, say 155.229.10.20:1024-2047.  Other users on the same DSLAM, etc behind the carrier NAT would have
other shares of the same public IP.   :)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an attempt at a continuation of the April Fools meme, or a serious idea, but this has kind
already been thought of. :-)

https://mice.cs.columbia.edu/getTechreport.php?techreportID=560

It's a nice illustration that the only idea which doesn't suck post exhaustion[0], is IPv6.

Andy

[0] i.e., now.

  By Date           By Thread