Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Top-posting (was: Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to anAlternative? )
From: Michael DeMan <nanog () deman com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:08:56 -0700

I really don't think anybody is concerned about how fast the email downloads anymore.

Rather it is more of a matter of how long it takes us humans to process the incredible volume of information we are
expected to process.

I have no problem either 'top posting' or 'bottom posting' - but I agree it would be good for the NaNog list to decide
on a policy.

I say we all vote.

The ultimate question on email etiquette is naturally how to properly identify inline commentary.

Top-post is definitely the most efficient for that.  For instance, if I have a lengthy correspondence with a peer who
may or may not speed English, the top-post is always respected, and from there it is quite easy (because it is in the
top) to note that other commentary is inline - and (as I mentioned before) - to remove unnecessary material while
leaving short portions of material relevant.

To get back on topic about using email efficiently and get away from peoples personal preferences, I will say the
following.

#1) I have no disagreement about whether to top-post or bottom-post on this list or any other - given that there is a
policy in place.  Maintaing communications is the most important thing.

#2) I still do not understand how 'bottom posters' reference material from prior e-mails in their replies?  Perhaps I
am just ignorant.  I often have lengthy business and technical communications which some times require a bit of
snipping here and there - the best way to notify somebody you have <SNIPPED> the prior conversation is to say it right
up front?

#3) These kinds of things become even more important when working with non-native English speakers.

#4) I still seem to believe (maybe I am wrong) - that 'bottom posters' thing that an individual email to list is
supposed to be an 'archive' - I wholly disagree.