Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: 365x24x7
From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:50:32 -0700

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv> wrote:

On Apr 15, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Greg Moore wrote:

When I did this years ago I found 5 was really a minimum so that I could cover weekends and then had extra coverage
as needed during the week.

I did find it was good to swap out the graveyard shift every 6 months or so.

When I worked with NASA and the Navy on remote locations that needed full time staffing, the rule of thumb was
5 people and 4 shifts was the absolute minimum, and the people had to be motivated enough to pull 12 hour shifts on a
regular basis (i.e., this
was very bare bones). The 4th shift was needed during the weekends.

Anything less, and you would have uncovered periods if, say, 2 people got sick simultaneously.

I believe that for ongoing long term operations, NASA and DOD
standards are 6 shifts worth of people, however you juggle the
particular shift lengths / schedules.  I.e., NORAD, NASA ISS / Moon
mission mission control, etc.

You can do it with 5, but people need time to get sick, take
vacations, go to training, etc.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert () gmail com