Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: 365x24x7
From: Michael Young <michael () mwyoung ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:17:25 -0400

Having run 24/7 NOC, customer care and tier 3 engineering/dev support, for 20 years, my two cents are:

1) You need to rotate shifts and have overlap between shifts for training and communication purposes
2) Always rotate forward, due sleep cycles
3) If you want to retain staff and not burn them out, do not rotate more than one a month, I've tried from 2 week to 12
week rotations. Longer rotations mean more staff, when you try various shift schedules you will see why, but they work
best. You make your cost on the extra staff by lowering turnover which is expensive to deal with.
4) Take your staff opinions in on schedule but you make the call, someone will always dislike the schedule no matter
how hard you try,.......
5) make sure you support shift swapping within reason, so people can deal with personal schedule conflicts

Good luck!

Michael Young

M:647-289-1220