Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: VPN over slow Internet connections
From: Fred Richards <fredr () geexology org>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:22:42 -0400

We are looking into utilising OpenVPN for out-of-office workers who
would be running mobile broadband in rural areas. Typical data across
the wire would be SQL queries for custom applications and not much else.

I agree with Patrick, SSH would do nicely.  You could even setup a
tunnel, and the sql queries could hit localhost:3306 (for mysql for
example) and connect, encrypted to a remote server.  At 2-3KB/sec, I
wouldn't expect the ability to have too many people concurrently
connecting to the database.

--
                      Fred

  By Date           By Thread