Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: New IPv6 survey released on labs.ripe.net
From: Kevin Day <toasty () dragondata com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:56:57 -0500

On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:39 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:

Can we get mobile devices added to this? Mobile consumes a large amount of
address space and is especially well suited for ipv6-only operations.

Unfortunately, the results would be painfully narrow.  Now that Nokia no
longer supports ipv6, there is no going forward ipv6 support on any mobile
device (htc did something special for thunderbolt, it's not an android 3g
feature )

It's a very sad state of affairs.

For testing purposes, we try to keep a few phones on each major carrier, and I was actually surprised at how many of
our randomly purchased phones did support IPv6.

T-Mobile: Nokia N900 works great thanks to you(admittedly a dead-end from Nokia, but it works with the same level of
shell script and kernel hacking that all N900 users expect)
AT&T: iPhone 4 (works on wifi, but not over 3G. Can't even be disabled if you don't want v6)
Verizon: HTC Thunderbolt (works out of the box)

No IPv6 on Sprint, US Cellular or Metro PCS though. They don't have anything that supports IPv6 as far as I can tell.

For me as a consumer, I actually had no idea that the Thunderbolt or iPhone were even using IPv6, it's totally
automatic and seamless.  But I am surprised at how few phones/tablets have any IPv6 support at all, with how late in
the game this is.

-- Kevin

  By Date           By Thread