Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 end user addressing
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 13:58:01 -0400

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:56:25 MDT, Brielle Bruns said:
On 8/5/11 10:38 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
and I don't think*anybody*  is big
enough to actually burn through a /24 allocation (feel free to prove me wrong..
;)

Never doubt the ability of certain Asian countries to burn through IP
space at blistering speed when their citizens can't even directly access
the internet without going through a massive firewall and proxy system.  :)

Those cases are probably best handled as a /16 delegation from a regional RIR
to a national RIR or similar. And they can just ULA themselves a /16 for inside
the country if they really feel the need ;)

And yes, I know a single /24 won't quite cover all of Comcast's customers if
they give them all a /48.  They're welcome to prove me wrong by turning up
enough customers on IPv6 to need a second /24. ;)

  By Date           By Thread