Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 end user addressing
From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:43:27 -0500

Once upon a time, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> said:
Stateless autoconfiguration (which is NOT dynamic IP addresses; the IP
address is static but tied to the ethernet card) does not work unless
the subnet mask is exactly /64.

Even on a server lan you'll occasionally want to plug in a PC for
diagnostics without having to poke in an IP address by hand.

Actually, nobody should be plugging any random device into my server
LANs, and I certainly don't want to encourage it by having it work (even
if just for IPv6).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>

  By Date           By Thread