Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 end user addressing
From: Scott Helms <khelms () ispalliance net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:28:07 -0400

Owen,

The fact that you're immediately going to routing means you don't understand the problem. The costs I'm talking about don't have anything to do with routing or any of the core gear and everything to do with the pieces at the customer premise. Routers cost more to purchase than bridges because there is more complexity (silicon & software). Routers also cost more to manage for a service provider in almost all cases for residential customers. There are reasons to deploy routing CPE in some cases (the use cases are increasing with IP video in DOCSIS systems) but they are still very nascent.