Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers
From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:52:32 +1000

In message <CAJvB4tnPS4CsJSf37sc4a4mqOx0UuWKvPNiEcoFqaLXOwk+VmA () mail gmail com>
, Blake Dunlap writes:
Or, alternately, don't care what your printer's ridiculously long IPv6 IP is
at this moment, (ULA/GUA/assigned: it really doesn't matter) and use mdns
like normal people. Otherwise we're ignoring the forest for the trees, I
don't expect to try to explain to my grandma how to type in
2001:45ea:344b:dead:beef::27 and/or remember it, when "printer1" will do.

This just makes me think of this: http://bash.org/?14258

If we need a way to mdns to work across subnet boundries in a single
administrative domain, so be it. If we need a better mdns, lets make that
too, but we *really* need to get away from direct IPs in general.

You are totally missing the point which is that the printer has a
*routable* address when the home, with possibly multiple subnets,
is disconnected or has never connected to the global network.

link-locals are insufficient for a routed home.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org

  By Date           By Thread