Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

personal backup
From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:12:24 +0900

charles skipped what i see as a highly critical question, personal
backup.

my life is on a 13" macbook air, all data, mail back decades (i do not
save all mail), etc.  the whole drive is encrypted, my main reason for
moving to lion.

i have two time machine drives, one at home and one i carry on the
road.  both are encrypted.

belt and braces, i also use unison to sync my laptop's home data to a
server in colo.  it goes to a freebsd geli, i.e. encrypted, partition.

all keys and other critical private data are in a text file on my laptop
encrypted with gpg, which i use emacs crypt++ to access.  that key file,
a bunch of x.509 certs, ... are copied to an ironkey usb.

randy

  By Date           By Thread