Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: What do you do when your Home ISP is down?
From: "Voll, Toivo" <toivo () usf edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:00:50 -0400

Thirded. As an enterprise account customer (with service at my home), I called them up, began to explain what I'm
seeing, just to be interrupted with something to the effect of "Yeah, I see it. I'll get someone to fix it.
Incidentally, how do you like your USR Router, we don’t see many of those?"

Or, when they called me and said they are seeing a worrying amount of errors on my link and would like to send someone
over to troubleshoot before there's an actual failure. (Bad coax cable in the attic). I'm not saying anything about
Brighthouse, but the commercial RoadRunner support in Tampa is top notch, and that extends to billing and accounts as
well. It's a very dramatic difference to the V****** F*** offering, which has better technology but never managed to
send me a correct bill during a year of use. You can count bits delivered per dollar, or you can consider some of the
less quantifiable aspects of service when picking an ISP. It's also sad that good, competent service is so rare it
really stands out.

-Toivo