Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Writable SNMP
From: Blake Dunlap <ikiris () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 12:42:48 -0600

Yes, Site Mangler. Do not stir that nest. Thar be dragons.

-Blake

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:35, Justin M. Streiner <streiner () cluebyfour org>wrote:

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011, Jared Mauch wrote:

 I recall some bay networks gear you could only program with the proper OID
as the cli was basically a SNMP-SET operation on the device.

The mere mention of Bay Networks and Site Manager (read: Site Mangler or
Site Damager) is enough to get my blood pressure up a few points, and I
haven't touched that stuff since probably 1999 or 2000.  The CLI was quite
horrible, and their somewhat IOS-like command shell (BCC) was not much
better.

 Have you had a good experience with using SNMP-Write?  I have not.

The most I've done using SNMP SETs is backed up configurations from
network devices at my old job.  That part worked (and works) very well, but
I never tried pushing config changes out to devices that way.

jms

  By Date           By Thread