Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sad IPv4 story?
From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 16:16:08 -0500

On Dec 9, 2011, at 4:12 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

I suspect the opposite is in fact true - if there is an open market, many sites
will continue deluding themselves and make the end game that much more painful.
If you haven't been able to sell the CFO types on the need to deploy IPv6 *yet*
(consider that you *should* have been specifying "Ipv6-ready" on capex for at
least 4-5 years already, so most of the gear on the floor should be ready to
go), you're going to be *screwed* when you finally get moving.  Among other
things, all the *good* IPv6 experts will already have found good gigs, and it's
gonna either take a bigger paycheck to headhunt one, or you'll be stuck with
the dregs of the market (either way, it will cost you more).

I've had recruiters calling me about IPv6 related jobs for at least 2 years now.

Some are full-time, others contract work.

If you haven't IPv6 enabled your capable devices yet, get on it.  Most providers
will give you IPv6 for free now, and will allocate you space from their blocks.

If you are an ARIN member, you can get your block of IPv6 address by submitting a simple
form as long as you already have IPv4 space.

Get on it, make them work this month and have your space already allocated prior to the
start of 2012.

- jared

  By Date           By Thread