Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.
From: Eugen Leitl <eugen () leitl org>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:18:12 +0100

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:47:22AM -0800, Scott Weeks wrote:

In our industry, especially with all the tools we have today, it would seem
that telecommuting would be more accepted, but it's not and I don't understand
why.

People are social primates, alphas like access to nonverbal cues for
reading and control of their supposed underlings. Same reasons for
concentrations in big cities: interaction density is higher for business
dinners while underlings are not too far away. Net ops are more like
hunter-gatherers than anything, so there's considerable culture clash.

  By Date           By Thread