Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: recommendations for external montioring services?
From: "Derrick H." <nanog () lacutt com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:47:01 -0600

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 01:10:54PM -0600, Eric J Esslinger wrote:
I'm not looking to monitor a massive infrastructure: 3 web sites, 2
mail servers (pop,imap,submission port, https webmail), 4 dns servers
(including lookups to ensure they're not listening but not talking),
and one inbound mx. A few network points to ping to ensure
connectivity throughout my system. Scheduled notification windows (for
example, during work hours I don't want my phone pinged unless it's
everything going offline. Off hours I do. Secondary notifications if
problem persists to other users, or in the event of many triggers.
That sort of thing). Sensitivity settings (If web server 1 shows down
for 5 min, that's not a big deal. Another one if it doesn't respond to
repeated queries within 1 minute is a big deal) A Weekly summary of
issues would be nice. (especially the 'well it was down for a short
bit but we didn't notify as per settings') I don't have a lot of money
to throw at this. I DO have detailed internal monitoring of our
systems  but sometimes that is not entirely useful, due to the fact
that there are a few 'single points of failure' within our
network/notification system, not to mention if the monitor itself goes
offline it's not exactly going to be able to tell me about it. (and
that happened once, right before the mail server decided to stop
receiving mail).

You may want to check out http://www.panopta.com/
Works well for me with reasonable pricing.

Derrick

Eric Esslinger
Information Services Manager - Fayetteville Public Utilities
http://www.fpu-tn.com/
(931)433-1522 ext 165

This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended for the person/entity to whom it
was originally addressed. Any use by others is strictly prohibited.

  By Date           By Thread