Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.
From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:16:20 -0600 (CST)

Am 12/1/11 9:35 PM, schrieb David Radcliffe:
Since I like to work and code (I spend 10 hours a day on the computer at the
office, think about work related stuff in the shower, and often write Perl code
at home to deal with various household tasks) I work quite well at home.
There are more distractions at the office and my productivity is greater in my
home computer room during those times I have to put in some extra for the
office.

The downside of this is that you are not around in the office in case
someone wants to talk to you. I often end up with guys from our
operations team or other teams stopping at my desk and ask questions. Or
guys who want to have a quick chat about a problem and want to ask for
an advice or idea. Or people who want to learn Perl and have a question
that you can answer in 30 seconds.

Yes, I know, they can call you, or send an Email, but nothing beats the
good old "Let's go for a coffee, I'd like to ask you a question".

Which really stops being practical once you exceed (approx) one building
in size.  It was interesting during the early days to note that there were
certain people who did a lot of their interaction on IRC, even when in the
office, even when sitting a few cubes away from each other sometimes.  It
definitely enabled telepresence - obviously not as good as "being there",
but it was funny every now and then when you'd go looking for that person
and find out they were out today at a different office, or telecommuting.

It seems to me that we've not been as successful as we might at this whole
telecommuting thing, because people - especially at small companies - ARE
used to being able to grab a coffee, and there's a reluctance to lose that.

... JG
--

  By Date           By Thread