Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Range using single-mode SFPs across multi-mode fiber
From: Oliver Rothschild <orothschild () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:43:44 -0500

Some idiot jumpered runs that existed between 3 different buildings. That person did not know about the 550m limit that
we also follow.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 14, 2011, at 22:38, Keegan Holley <keegan.holley () sungard com> wrote:

2011/12/14 oliver rothschild <orothschild () gmail com>
Thanks to all who responded to my clumsy first question (both on
matters of etiquette and technology). The group I work with (we are a
small project acting as a last mile provider) was in the midst of
deploying this solution when I posed the question. We put the single
mode Juniper SFPs (LX) on to a run of approximately 1670 meters.

How did you end up with a MM run this long?  SX optics are only rated at 500 meters at best.  Even with mode
conditioning jumpers more the 1km is a risk.  I'm glad it held up during testing though.  Just out of curiosity did
you purchase dark from a provider?  Is it inside of a building?

  By Date           By Thread