Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

RE: Overall Netflix bandwidth usage numbers on a network?
From: Don Bowman <don () sandvine com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 15:59:13 +0000

From: Blake Hudson [mailto:blake () ispn net]

Yeah, that's an interesting one. We currently utilize netflow for this,

but you also need to consider that netflix streaming is just port 80

www traffic. Because netflix uses CDNs, its difficult to pin down the

traffic to specific hosts in the CDN and say that this traffic was

netflix, while this traffic was the latest windows update (remember

this is often a shared hosting platform). We've done our own testing

and have come to a good solution which uses a combination of nbar,

packet marking, and netflow to come to a conclusion. On a ~160Mbps

link, netflix peaks out between 30-50Mbps around 8-10PM each evening.

The rest of the traffic is predominantly other forms of HTTP traffic

(including other video streaming services).

We (Sandvine) also have a product that does this measurement in the

IP network, per CDN, per device type (e.g. how much Netflix on xbox

is on Akamai vs Limelight). In addition it measures the delivered

quality per CDN.

Anyone can feel free to contact me off list for more information.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CCBBE1.BCF573A0]

  By Date           By Thread