Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Speed Test Results
From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 14:33:08 -0500

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:16:38 MST, Joel Maslak said:

However, they are susceptible to things like wireless network issues,
TCP limitations (one stream vs. many streams), and misconfiguration of
devices at the customer location.  And the speed test box isn't
necessarily configured/speced correctly either.

I have seen some surreal results reported by some of the speed test sites
if you have a sufficiently fat pipe.  Near as I could tell, every single hop was
gigE or better all the way, the speedtest site then tried to apply a correction
for the bottleneck it knew about on its local gigE nterface, and basically decided
that the *rest* of the path must be near-infinite speed. ;)

  By Date           By Thread