Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?
From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 09:36:41 +0900

Joel jaeggli wrote:

First of all, ND use is optional and, if ND is used, RA
must be used.

It means that, if RA is not used, ND can't be used.

Finding and maintaining the l2 address for a device on a subnet where RA
is not used is a pretty common activity so I'm not sure how your would
conclude that. 2461/4861/5942 certainly don't preclude that.

RFC6434 has contradictory statements:

   Neighbor Discovery SHOULD be supported.

and

   Hosts MUST support IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration as
   defined in [RFC4862].

and a reasonable interpretation is SLAAC MUST be supported if
ND is supported.

Or, we shouldn't expect IPv6 specifications reasonable,
which means reasonable operation is impossible.

                                                Masataka Ohta

  By Date           By Thread