Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?
From: Joel Maslak <jmaslak () antelope net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:10:45 -0700

On Dec 29, 2011, at 7:00 PM, Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu> wrote:

The real-world case for host routing (IMHO) is a server with a public
interface, an administrative interface, and possibly a third path for
data backups (maybe four if it's VMware/VMotion too).  Unless the
non-public interfaces are flat subnets, you need some statics (today).
It can be a challenge to get SysAdmins in a co-operative mindset to
route that correctly (and repetitively if you have a server farm).

What I've done in that case as a sysadmin was a default out the internet interface and some sort of ospf daemon to
handle the rest.  If I want a host to learn routing, I put a routing daemon on it.  Otherwise I just use a default
route.  I don't see why this changes with IPv6.

  By Date           By Thread