Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wanted: Asia bandwidth test files
From: Sadiq Saif <sadiq () asininetech com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:46:51 -0400

Linode hosts one to test their Tokyo location -
http://speedtest.tokyo.linode.com/100MB-tokyo.bin

Source - http://www.linode.com/speedtest/

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Micah Anderson <micah () riseup net> wrote:

Hi,

I'm sitting on what is advertised as a 100mbit/sec connection in
Cambodia. I have been trying to verify that, because I do not believe it
is valid.

I did iperf tests from a number of network locations, and at one point I
did get 71mbit/sec (most of the results were around 20-25mbit/sec or
less). But I dont think 30 second iperf tests are particularly revealing
when the bandwith rate might change drastically over the day. I
considered doing a 3 day iperf test, but somehow this seems not how the
tool was designed.

Someone suggested I find test files from various Asian locations to
download via wget. I found a bunch of 100mb test files for various
providers in N. America and Europe on webhostingtalk, which were
interesting, but I never got more than around 5mbit/sec with them.

Does anyone have any machines in Japan, S. Korea, or other asian
locations with good bandwidth. where they can host a 100mbit file so I
can attempt to download it to test this?

Other suggestions for reliable tests would also be welcome! Please, dont
suggest some flash garbage :)

thanks!
micah

--