Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGPttH. Neustar can do it, why can't we?
From: Scott Helms <khelms () ispalliance net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 18:05:21 -0400

Owen,

That's like saying if it were easy to fly we'd all be pilots, which isn't true either. BGP would need to be completely redesigned/replaced before it could possibly be automated to that level much less implemented by the Lynksis/DLink/Netgear/$yourfavoritesohorouter vendor. Business would need a reason to implement BGP and most simply don't AND BGP would have to be dramatically simpler and safer. Operators already have to be deeply involved (AKA filtering the announced networks) with edge network BGP implementations to prevent someone from announcing they're the preferred route for some other organization's netblock. This happens already on occasion and all of the people who run routers speaking BGP are generally professionals.