mailing list archives
[NANOG-announce] Call for Volunteers -- NANOG Education Committee
From: Steve Gibbard <scg () newnog org>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:50:52 -0700
(my apologies to those receiving a second copy of this. The first copy ran into a mail filtering issue and didn't go
out to most of the list)
At the Vancouver meeting in June, I presented a preliminary proposal for a NANOG education initiative, which would put
together a NANOG-created educational program for junior (and possibly more advanced) network operators. There was
broad support from the community, and now it's time to refine the idea and turn it into something that can be
implemented. We are seeking volunteers to join the Education Committee and work on the final proposal and its
implementation. Among the issues that need to be decided are:
- What format should the classes have?
- What subject matter should they cover, and what should the curriculum be?
- Who should be teaching them -- volunteers from the community or paid instructors?
- Where should the classes be taught? At NANOG venues before, after, or during the conferences? At independent sites
at non-conference times?
- Cost structures: What should the classes cost and what will be included?
- Other sources of financial support: Tuition? Sponsorships? Donations? Subsidies from the NANOG conferences?
- And all sorts of other issues
The expected commitment from members of the Education Committee will be as follows:
- Attend bi-weekly conference calls
- Research issues as needed, and provide feedback to the group
The goal will be to have a reasonably solid proposal in time for the October NANOG meeting, and a final proposal in
time for the February meeting.
If you are interested in volunteering for this committee, please contact me.
scg () newnog org
NANOG-announce mailing list
NANOG-announce () nanog org
- [NANOG-announce] Call for Volunteers -- NANOG Education Committee Steve Gibbard (Aug 29)