Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Laptop with reverse VGA
From: Jussi Peltola <pelzi () pelzi net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:08:51 +0200

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:45:02PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Yeah; I knew (or was pretty sure) that it was down to the chip level at
this point, but as you say, for driving the price down, there's nothing
like the single-chip solution, and this is apparently just far enough
off the edge of the popularity curve that it's not in any single-chip
solutions (that I know of, and board-level hardware isn't really my game).

Practically all desktop LCDs do have a single chip that eats VGA and
outputs LVDS. All you would need is a suitable ROM with modelines for it
to work with a laptop screen. But these parts run hot and come in
gigantic TQFP packages (when compared to the form factor of ICs in
laptops.)

Making a replacement card that fits in a laptop instead of the
motherboard is quite possible. Sadly, I have neither the time nor the
motivation since I already have a SpiderDuo :)

  By Date           By Thread