Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Programmers with network engineering skills
From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:30:57 -0800

On 02/27/2012 06:23 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
programming is not being able to write a hundred lines of unreadable
perl.

a real programmer can be productive in networking tools in a matter of a
month or two.  i have seen it multiple times.

a networker can become a useful real progammer in a year or three.

I agree. Programmers aren't born understanding some fields and not
others. In my case, I didn't have a clue about networking coming out
of school but picked it up because I thought it was neat, and there
was something intoxicating about the smell of the printed out RFC's.

Mike, weird i know

  By Date           By Thread