Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: [#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)
From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 12:28:44 -0800

On 2/1/12 10:16 AM, George Bonser wrote:

Let's say I had a business in space in a building I was leasing at 100 Main Street, Podunk, USA.  Now let's say you
didn't renew the lease so I moved to a building up the block but put the 100 Main Street address on my new location
and continued to use that address for my business.

Or let's say I operated a TV station on channel 37 that was allocated to you but you terminate my operating contract.
 So I lease/erect a new transmitter and continue broadcasting on channel 37.

There obviously must be a remedy for two parties attempting to utilize the same resource at the same time,
particularly when one party is the rightfully in control of that resource's use.  It might be civil rather than
criminal but the rightful owner of the resource would have a good case.

The FCC has teeth if someone decided to disregard them. There is no
analogue in the world of IP address assignments.

~Seth

  By Date           By Thread