Home page logo
/

nanog logo nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding anycasting in CDN setup
From: Charles Gucker <cgucker () onesc net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:36:46 -0500

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Anurag Bhatia <me () anuragbhatia com> wrote:
Hello everyone!

I have a small question and was wondering if someone could help me with
that.

Question is - why companies like Google, Amazon are having partial
anycasting in CDN setups? E.g if we pick a random hostname from url of
Picasa picture - lh3.googleusercontent.com - this one is further a cname
string and at the end you will find different A records when checked from
different locations.

The simple answer for this is, Google cannot be expected to have a
local cache of every image supplied to them globally on every server.
 So they use unicast servers behind a DNS based geo load balancer
configuration.     As for DNS, every anycasted node is expected to be
able to resolve any DNS request that is made.

It's all a matter of disk and acceptable delay in providing the data
from the "closest" disk.

charles

  By Date           By Thread